Thursday 5 February 2015

Tainan day 3

Someone said that travel is all about the people you meet.  Examining my inner response to what happens in a day I find that this is mostly correct.  In the ancient Qing dynasty tower I stood talking to a student from Beijing and a photographer from Korea.  Meanwhile, a Chinese girl is watching me with a kind of knowing smile on her face.  She's wearing a sweatshirt from Pinetree Secondary school.   I think, "isn't that in Coquitlam?"  Turns out her father is an artist and a professor.  He works in Taiwan and his wife and children are in Coquitlam.  Oh, there he is.  Delightful man with longish hair swept back and a distinctly 'art professor' look about him.  I feel as if I'm  in a kaleidoscope, entranced by the extraordinary, beautiful and ever-changing patterns.
Then there was the street vendor of corn (ripened in February).  It was delicious! When I bought some they said: "Thank you for supporting local farmers".  I put a photo of it on FB.
A saying of Charlie Brown goes: "I hate good-byes.  Why do we always have to say good-bye?  I hate good byes. I need more Hellos."
So I'm having so many hellos, but there's a price.  The price is having to be not attached.  Its different from detachment, which would mean a sense of distance.  Meeting people without being attached allows us to appreciate the exact moment and in that moment is the possibility of a heart connection.  It's not difficult, it's in the eyes; in fact you have close yourself somehow to avoid it.  I wonder if that is what Jerry Jampolsky was referring to in his book, "Love is letting go of fear."

No comments:

Post a Comment