Tuesday 17 February 2015

...A condition of simplicity

I set off walking this morning to explore my new neighbourhood.  Found a great place for lunch, where of course I have to practice my infant language skills.  Spent some time going from street to street looking for the English language bookstore.  This kind of walking is so intriguing because every street is completely new.  I never know what I will find next..  There are lovely strips of green that take you past museums, temples and...who knows?

Eventually found the bookstore (quite by accident on the 4th floor of a quite beautiful new building.) I have this wonderful feeling of lightness - as if I was just born and am looking at a new world with a sense of wonder.  Since I have no memories of this place there's no time, just a continuing present.  It occurred to me that this is the way we ought to live; we can find the sense of wonder anywhere.  Maybe this is what TS Eliot meant in Little Gidding:
"Quick now, here, now, always
A condition of complete simplicity
(Costing not less than everything)"

No comments:

Post a Comment