Monday 12 January 2015

What an amazing day!  After I found the (9th floor) language school I was immediately thrown into a classroom.  The level of Mandarin was almost within my grasp, but far enough above me to be excessively challenging.  I feel as if I can handle it.....maybe.
They showed me an apartment, but it looked pretty horrible.  To get a better place I need to sign a 6 month lease.  Don't know if I want to do that and anyway, is it the best location when I don't know where (or even if) I'll be working.
Following a lead I took a train out to Longjing.  Got a hair-raising lift on a scooter to the station, then half an hour on the train out to this small town where everyone seemed quite delighted to meet me.  (Apparently they're not even put off by the unsightly injury to my nose)  Once I found the school and waded through a noisy giggle of cheerful 9 year olds it didn't take long before they had me up in front of a white board with a book in my hand trying to teach them about the points of a compass with reference to Mexico.  Interesting job opportunity,but they're looking for full time and a one year commitment with one month vacation.  Incredibly, I was actually considering it.
I met a Kindergarten teacher on the train back who entertained me immensely.  She says her students are angels come to earth.  When I agreed they do seem like angels she said, "No.  They really ARE angels." With so many angels running around I think I'm going to like Taiwan.

No comments:

Post a Comment