Tuesday 6 January 2015

Day 1

My Starbucks coffee exceeded in cost both my bus ride from the airport and the taxi to find the hostel.  The taxi deposited me on a narrow side street festooned with a variety of signage none of which had any resemblance to a hostel.  So I'm standing in the road with my bags, no sleep in about 36 hours, pondering my next move.  I approached a random guy handing out leaflets.  He spoke English, was immensely helpful and phoned my host for directions.  The hostel is a bit bizarre. No sign at all.  You  punch a code for entry, go up a narrow flight of stairs; there are signs of activity inside but nobody actually present.  Still, its worth it because hotel rooms are expensive in Taipei.  Stored my bags and headed out for a walk.  Used my rudimentary Mandarin from time to time.  People look surprised, but they seem to understand what I'm trying to say.  I have this happy illusion of being among friends all the time.  The Starbucks associate took time to hook me up on line which is how I come to be writing this.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like my experience in Hong Kong a few years back! Have you retired?
    Do you plan to teach ESL there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment - yes and yes. Sometimes its a 3rd language, especially if they speak Mandarin and Taiwanese.

      Delete