Thursday 15 January 2015


I often feel intimidated by these small eating places with no menu. (The shoes apply to the store above)  Anyway, I was feeling hungry so I went in.  You  take a basket and put in various veggies, noodles, tofu, etc that you want to eat.  The man chops them up and gives them to his wife who makes them all into a spicy soup.  After some minimal communication regarding sitting down. and how much spice I wanted I  settled in at the back of the shop with my book.  The soup was delicious and quite filling.  When I tried to pay the man gave me a big smile and declined my payment. Probably equivalent to 3 Canadian dollars. It was very confusing.  All the staff were so friendly, but I have no idea why I got my meal for free.  I like to feel they were impressed with my minimal Mandarin but have absolutely no evidence for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment