Friday 15 May 2015

Bridges and exotic fruit


I wanted to put in the curvy bridge and the butterfly bridge because it feels as if some curves are ahead in my life.  Dana's dog in the bike basket is just one of a cast of characters who play their part.  Simon (same name as me) has an awesome burgundy Jaguar in which he likes to take Alice and I to wondrous places.  Alice's Mom lives in Xi'an, has University connections, and is now in possession of my resume.  This morning I gave my Chinese presentation which is mostly about....(drum roll)...Xi'an!
 So there are curves ahead.  Also metaphorically speaking - bridges.
Ont he left is my current favorite tea shop.  The owner is on the left, Simon is on the right.  The patio is nice an breezy with a nice view of the tree-lined boulevard.

 The presentation felt terribly disappointing to me because everyone else's seems so much better.  I only dimly understand the value of my chinese lessons.  Its not only so I can communicate better with people in China.  The experience is a continuation of my learning in the CELTA training, which
seems to be that the student phase of my life is pretty much over.  Its been very cool playing              
university student and also a wonderful lesson in ego reduction; however, the curve has swooped on and if I don't ride it I'll continue to suffer.   On the plus side, I've gained a significant appreciation of the trials for an adult of learning a foreign language.  Its so valuable!  I can see what needs to be done now.  Today I chatted with a young staff member in the tea shop.  She really wants to improve her English, but feels discouraged.  I'm not surprised, because language school teaching methods are no more up to date with modern teaching possibilities than are most modern schools.

And the fruit?  I think its mulberries, but they seem very fresh and sweet; they're also quite large.  New exciting and exotic fruit brought from the mountains by Simon in his Jaguar.  As Bob Dylan said:  "Something is happening, but you don't know what it is; do you?"

No comments:

Post a Comment