Thursday 18 August 2016

Lessons of the heart

They all came out to say goodbye
Felt like a birthday party

 One morning you wake up and you can't walk. Your life turns a corner.


It was so moving when friends came out in the morning of my departure to bring gifts, to help me on my way and to ask hopefully when I plan to return.  In some way my life has become larger than myself and there is a sense of responsibility. I care about these people, and they don't want anything from me except what I am quite willing to give - encouragement, language support, glimpses of the wide world beyond the borders of China.
So in a few short hours I moved between two worlds. I soared to 40,000 feet and then struggled in Korea just to move my bags from one plane to another.
My arrival in Canada, crutches and all, was not impressive. We drove five hours up to Bill's cabin in the mountains. It was like walking out of one emotional movie into another, equally intense, with a completely different cast of characters. With its clear streams, green trees and gentle breezes, the Joe rich Valley is a healing place. It seemed that my physical problems began to improve rapidly.  One crutch fell away, then the other, then I started to forget where I had left them. The weather was perfect, I was with family and friends and I had nothing to do except to get my battered body working again.

echoes of bygone years
Best of all was Calvin. If you ever wish to learn how to exist completely awake and 'in the moment' just watch a two year old.
A walk of two metres represented an adventure for Calvin. He would test each root, bounce on it experimentally, take a step forward, then maybe a step back to try it again. Occasionally he would look up at the treetops, raise his arms and twirl around.  Why do the rest of us not do this, are we too inhibited?


"This MY car"
I'm so lucky to have friends from my university days.  We have been coming to this place since 1971, so that's 45 years we've been friends.
The old homestead
This time there were lots of the next generation present. We call them the kids, but really they're in their 30s and have kids themselves. Calvin was one of the four grandchildren running around.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Chinese people have usually heard of Vancouver even though they pronounce it differently.  They always say "Vancouver is beautiful"
Vancouver is beautiful
although they may not know anything else about it.  I certainly enjoy the clean air, the sea and the luscious green parks.  After appreciating the beauty there's really not a lot for me to do here.  After 11 months in Xi'an I find the lower mainland region just a little bit boring.  Of course, I could get busy here and it's great to hang out with the Grandkids, but.....

Can it be that I'm missing something?  It's about people, but more importantly it's about RELATIONSHIPS with people. In Vancouver my relationships require nothing of me. What is it that calls me so loudly back to China?  Maybe, even though I don't have the strength I used to have, some work of significance can still be accomplished.  Maybe, if I care about other people, it's incumbent on me to actually DO something that meets their needs.




No comments:

Post a Comment